What does the Bible say about using artificial means of Contracepting?

I think this would be an interesting (and important) discussion to have. Many Protestants (and sadly some Catholics) who claim to be Bible-believing Christians embrace artificial means of Conception as acceptable, but what does the Bible say?

There are a few different ways of understanding how artificial means of contracepting is in opposition to God’s plan.

1. The Bible presents children as a gift & blessing from God:
(Psalm 139:13-16; Genesis 28:3; Genesis 4:1; Proverbs 17:6; Jeremiah 1:5; Galatians 1:15)

This does not mean that because a Married coupe is unable to have children that you are therefore unworthy of God’s blessings. God may bless you in other ways, as long as you are faithful to Him.

2. Scripture talks about being open to life and of a responsibility for us to cooperate with God’s plan:
(Genesis 1:28; Genesis 38:8-30; Leviticus 18:22; Deuteronomy 25:11-12; Hosea 9:11; Malachi 2:15; Matthew 19:6; Romans 1:26-28)

3. Other verses to consider when talking about the Marrital act:
(1 Corinthians 7:5; Ephesians 5:25)

There are many debates & misconceptions (no pun intended) about NFP, however I will leave that up to you to research the various types of natural family planning and the varying arguments for and against the use of NFP from a Catholic perspective.

Here are some quotes from the Early Church Fathers:

“Why do you sow where the field is eager to destroy the fruit, where there are medicines of sterility, where there is murder before birth? You do not even let a harlot remain only a harlot, but you make her a murderess as well…Indeed, it is something worse than murder, and I do not know what to call it; for she does not kill what is formed but prevents its formation. What then? Do you condemn the gift of God and fight with his [natural] laws?…Yet such turpitude…the matter still seems indifferent to many men—even to many men having wives. In this indifference of the married men there is greater evil filth; for then poisons are prepared, not against the womb of a prostitute, but against your injured wife. Against her are these innumerable tricks.” St. John Chrysostom, Homilies on Romans 24 (A.D. 391).

“Many have even paid money to be childless, and have mutilated nature, not only killing the newborn, but even acting to prevent their beginning to live.” St. John Chrysostom, Homilies on Matthew 28:5 (A.D. 391).

“Who is he who cannot warn that no woman may take a potion so that she is unable to conceive or condemns in herself the nature which God willed to be fecund? If a woman does not wish to have children, let her enter into a religious agreement with her husband; for chastity is the sole sterility of a Christian woman.” St. Caesarius of Arles, Sermons 1:12 (A.D. 522).

“They [referring to certain Egyptian heretics] exercise genital acts, yet prevent the conceiving of children. Not in order to produce offspring, but to satisfy lust, are they eager for corruption.” St. Epiphanius of Salamis, Medicine Chest Against Heresies 26:5:2 (A.D. 375).

“Therefore, whoever makes the procreation of children a greater sin than copulation, forbids marriage and makes the woman not a wife but a mistress…” St. Augustine, The Morals of the Manichees 18:65 (A.D. 388).

“[Some] complain that they have not enough for bringing up more children, as though, in truth, their means were in [their] power… or God did not daily make the rich poor and the poor rich. Wherefore, if any one on any account of poverty shall be unable to bring up children, it is better to abstain from relations with his Wife.” Lactantius, Divine Institutes 6:20 (A.D. 307).

Could you imagine if our Priests & Bishops preached this bluntly in Today’s age? Either they would be canceled or the pews would be empty/full (depending on the maturity of the faithful).

Also, you will read on some Protestant websites that “the Bible is silent on modern forms of birth control” and therefore morally acceptable. Though it is true that the Bible does not explicitly mention products or unnatural methods by name, as you can see in some of these writings of the Early Church Fathers that there were unnatural means of contracepting not far from Biblical times. And one would presume that there were unnatural means during Biblical times.

I do not believe that there is a coincidence that many of these same Christians are also being swayed to believe that same-sęx relations are also morally acceptable. For when you separate the Marital act from its designed purpose(s), then yeah, how can you say this is okay, but that isn’t okay.

Another trick that some Christians will use to justify things that violate natural law is to say, well that was only for those people, living in those times. Sure, Christians are no longer bound by the Mosaic Law, but to say that this means that natural law no longer exists is illogical. And perhaps I am straw-manning here, so if you are someone who would like to charitably push-back a little, I welcome you to.

My only comment would be many “don’t claim” to be Bible believing Christians but I believe are Bible believing Christians who don’t believe contraception to be a sin.

This sounds like a riddle. Can you expand on this?

Sure, simply because they don’t agree on the Catholic position on contraception doesn’t mean or should imply they are only claiming to be Bible believing Christians. The post earlier used the term claiming to be. That’s what I was referring to. Among Bible believing Christians I think there is room for discussion on whether Scripture itself(apart from a churches teaching) supports prohibiting birth control. Hope this makes sense.

It does. Thank you : )