Can a Priest Bless a Husband and his Mistress?

• Yes, but…
  • No, because…
  • Unsure
0 voters

Inspired by the document from the Vatican’s Doctrinal Office that came out this week.

So far I am two pages into this document and it is pretty legit so far. I am anticipating a but. I predict the wheels will fall off around page 7 or 8, but I could be wrong. I’ll let you know what I think when I finish reading it. Stay tuned : )

I have finished reading the document and the media (of course) sensationalized what the document said about “blessing same-sex unions.” It actually states the opposite. Both Fr. James Martin and the media are in the wrong on this one.

The document says several times not to even give the appearance of blessing same-sex unions, as this would cause scandal. It says that ordained Minsters, “in any case, are precisely to avoid any form of confusion or scandal, when the prayer of blessing is requested by a couple in an irregular situation, this blessing should never be imparted in concurrence with the ceremonies of a civil union, and not even in connection with them. Nor can it be performed with any clothing, gestures, or words that are proper to a Wedding. The same applies when a blessing is requested by a same-sex couple.”

It reconfirms that the Sacrament of Marriage (which is also the Biblical view of Marriage) is the “exclusive, stable, and indissoluble covenant between one man and one woman, naturally open to the generation of children—and what contradicts it is inadmissible.”

Then it goes into defining what a blessing is. Strictly speaking, that which is being blessed (persons, places, and things) must “refer back to the Creator” and are “ordered to the praise of God and the spiritual benefit of His people.”

It talks about how one should not bless “things, places, or circumstances that contradict natural law or the spirit of the Gospel."

The second section talks about the different types of blessings in the Bible.

• Blessings from God to us (“The great blessing of God is Jesus Christ.” An example is Romans 5:8)

• Our Blessings of thanksgiving towards God (like “Bless the Lord, O my Soul, bless His Holy Name” from Psalm 103 and that popular Praise Song and other examples include: Luke 1:64 and Matthew 11:25)

• Blessings upon others (Gen. 14:19; 24:60; 27:27; 47:10; 48:20; 49:28; Ex. 39:43; Lev 9:22 and elsewhere)

It talks about how “the last image of Jesus on earth is that of His hands raised in the act of Blessing” (Luke 24:50-51).

The last sections talk about how Pastors should not turn away an individual who requests a non-formal blessing for health, travel, or an increase of faith. This includes what the document refers to individuals living in “irregular situations” and “same-sex couples.”

I honestly found the document pretty good until the last few paragraphs which got a little fluffy.

1 Like

After seeing Fr. James Martin’s spectacle in the NY Times, I’m starting to believe this was all orchestrated. How many times has Fr. James Martin met with Pope Francis in private?

There are rumors that Fr. Martin was actually texting couples and asking them if they wanted their “unions blessed” after this document was released. If true, he should be gone.

1 Like

When I read the document, all I could think is, “Who do they think they’re fooling?” All the boilerplate about marriage being between a man and a woman, but there has never been the need for a document for a private blessing, and this is practically inviting public blessings of adulterers and fornicators. So long as it doesn’t look like marriage, of course!

2 Likes

How do you really feel ; ) No, I totally understand your concern. All valid. I just read it a little differently than you (which I guess is part of the problem with this document that tries to promote both truth and grace). It’s tough and Catholics are not the only ones dealing with this. I work with a Protestant Pastor’s Wife and they have lost members over trying to walk this line between truth and mercy. Only they lost members for leaning heavy on the truth side of things, while Pope Francis leans almost solely on the mercy side of things, as is the Jesuit way, which I’m not a fan of, but I understand that this is where they are coming from.

The “United” Methodist just split over this a little over a year ago. So, keep Praying for our Church, that we don’t follow in their lead, but rather that we follow Christ. I do not believe that the synodal way is of the Holy Spirit, but rather spirit of men. I Pray that the Lord does what is right & just and that faithful Catholic Priests and Bishops stand up for truth, with love and charity.

Let us ask St. Michael to Pray for us. St. Michael the Archangel, protect us from the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, and all the evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls, we humbly Pray. Amen

1 Like