Sola scriptura controls those who believe it

I work with a guy who is southern Baptist. Always has his Bible with him. He is the type that says hello and precedes to tell you what he is studying, reading or something church related. I’ll give him credit as he knows every page in his Bible. He can quote it much better than I can.

I generally avoid him but I asked him the other day as to why he doesn’t believe in purgatory. I knew why already but I figured I’d engage in a little conversation with him. So I asked and he replied by saying…

“point to where it says purgatory in the Bible”

My response…

“you didn’t answer my question”

He literally stopped talking and walked away.

Scripture alone completely controls those who believe that and they don’t realize it in any sense.

1 Like

I’ve had non Catholics ask me about the Catholic veneration of the Blessed Mother.Joel Osteen put it best…“If you can agree on 80%,why argue about the 20%?”…In my opinion,The Southern Baptists are better than the “Cafeteria Catholics”…

What is your vision of a “Cafeteria Catholic”

I genuinely ask because I’m curious.

I framed my original post in a way I probably should not have. It comes across negatively and arrogant, neither were my intent.

1 Like

Cafeteria Catholic is a person who considers themselves Catholic,but will only follow the teachings that he/she chooses to follow,other teachings they ignore…

Dear, Brothers & Sisters
Lets remember the wheat and the tears grow together.( In every denomination and Faith of Christianity ( The Church) there both good and evil). In the end they will be separated and confusion cleared up. Jesus Christ will make all truth known. we need to focus on Jesus and salvation spreading the message of his Kingdom , Return and Judgment!, and stop fighting each other! We need to be united not divided!—Rev. Jake Babineau

Point to where it says the trinity in the Bible. Part of the problem is that your co-worker’s Bible does not contain the entire Old Testament cannon.

Many Protestants have a misunderstanding of what Purgatory is. I have expanded upon this topic more here.