How many Catholic Cathedrals have you visited?

How many Catholic Cathedrals have you visited? Bonus: When you go on vacation, look for the nearest Cathedral and attend a Sacred Liturgy there.

I have been to:

1. Our Lady, Queen of the Most Holy Rosary Cathedral (Toledo, Ohio)
  2. The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist (Cleveland, Ohio)
  3. Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament (Detroit, Michigan)
  4. Cathedral of the Assumption (Louisville, Kentucky)
  5. Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (Charleston, South Carolina)

Holy Rosary Cathedral in Toledo will take your breath away! The Choir at St. John the Evangelist in Cleveland sounded angelic. The Detroit Cathedral was very plain, music was pre-recorded, but the people there are very welcoming. And the Cathedral in Louisville, was dated, but also had a beautiful choir.

I encourage everyone to visit the Cathedrals when traveling. Some are very moving and very beautiful.

1 Like

This is an indirect response, but I needed to expound on the subject. St James Church (1880) in Chicago on Wabash Ave was destroyed by an electrical fire. Despite restoration efforts, the “St James” many of us knew from baptism through marriage faded and eventually the church, school and convent were erased by opportunism. I became an orphan of sorts before the total demise. Couldn’t take it .

Ever since and instead, I have been blessed to celebrate my faith inside many, many of “God’s houses”. Some: Chicago’s Holy Name Cathedral; massive St. Peter’s (a regional church with its marble walls); Old St Patrick’s Church (1846) loaded with sanctity, stained glass; The Shrine of St Jude;
St. Josephat in Milwaukee (a marvel). Recently left St Mary’s Cathedral in Lafayette, Ind after 3 years… it was my holy home for a while!

1 Like

I’ve been to the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Pueblo, Colorado. A very humble cathedral that was built in 1912. Pueblo isn’t exactly a booming city and the Cathedral kind of reflects that. It’s a bit run down. There was a stuffy smell of old wood and holes were visible in the ceiling. Yet the altar the Tabernacle sat on was extremely extravagant. Almost like it didn’t belong in the building. I’d give it a look if you’re ever down there for the green chili festival.

1 Like

I follow a few photographers on Instagram who go into abandoned buildings and take some of the most beautiful pictures. Some of the old abandoned Churches are still some of the most beautiful images I’ve ever seen (even though they have been neglected).

1 Like

The buildings may decay but the presence of God always stay

1 Like

I’ve been to many in Italy including the four major Papal Basilicas in Rome. I was able to visit Norta Dame in Paris before the fire. I will always treasure that visit.

1 Like

I’ve been blessed to visit many different cathedrals around the world, and currently attending daily Mass at the Motherchurch of Texas, St Mary’s Basilica and Co-cathedral here in historic Galveston, Texas. It probably irritates the poor Houstonians, but our Archdiocese is known as Galveston-Houston.

1 Like

My Wife and I just got back from Galveston, Texas! We went on a Cruise to Mexico! I wish I would have seen your post prior to leaving. We visited a Cathedral in Mexico and 2 Churches, one of which the first Catholic Mass was celebrated in Mexico back in 1528!

We also visited a Catholic Church in Laurel, Mississippi on our drive home (the City where HGTV’s “Home Town” is filmed).

We had a great time. Made it back just in time for Easter Sunday : )

That would’ve been awesome meeting you. Remember to contact me before your next cruise!

1 Like

I’ve assisted at Holy Mass at the cathedral in a few cities.
Portland, OR
Boise, ID
Los Angeles, CA (old one St. Vibiana)
Las Vegas, NV (often)
Salt Lake City, UT
Colorado Springs, CO
Santa Fe, NM (often)
Amarillo, TX
Lubbock, TX
Austin, TX
Laredo, TX
Dallas, TX
Houston, TX
Oklahoma City, OK
Tulsa, OK
Wichita, KS
Kansas City, KS
Little Rock, AR
St. Louis, MO
Memphis, TN
Atlanta, GA (often)
New York, NY
Hamilton, Ont DOC
LĂ©on, GTO MĂ©xico
Paris (40+ times)
Berlin
Munich
Rome (only counting Cathedral- St John Lateran)

I’ve visited (not Holy Mass) some others
New Orleans
St. Petersburg, FL
MĂ©xico City
Warsawa
Krakow

1 Like

Christ the King, Atlanta
Frankfurt Cathedral
Notre Dame
Chartres
Sts. Peter & Paul, Phila.

1 Like

Sacred heart cathedral newark nj and st pateick’s new york city

1 Like

We went on Vacation last week and attended Mass at St. John the Baptist Cathedral in Charleston, SC.