What is your favorite Catholic tradition or practice, and why is it meaningful to you?

What is your favorite Catholic tradition or practice, and why is it meaningful to you?

2 Likes

Liturgy of the hours . Rosary. Lectio Divina.

3 Likes

Although I love many Catholic devotions/practices, my favorite would have to be going on pilgrimages to holy places. Iā€™ve led 16 pilgrimages to Lourdes and 17 to Betania, for example. Whenever Iā€™m on pilgrimage, I feel like everything involved in it, preparing, researching, packing, travel, inconveniences, other challenges like personality conflicts among the pilgrims with me, as well as actually breathing the air of a holy place can lead to many insights and transformation. A pilgrimage is a way to put oneā€™s faith in practice.

2 Likes

Adoration in front of the Blessed Sacrament. Time with Jesus!

5 Likes

I too LOVE Adoration! I signed up for Midnight tonight (Iā€™ve always been a bit of a night owl : )

@Docallan When my daughter graduates from High School we are planning a trip to Japan. Have you heard of The Tomb of the 26 Martyrs of Japan (ę—„ęœ¬äŗŒåå…­č–äŗŗ)? The Japanese Catholics are very fond of St. Maximilian Kolbe too. He visited Japan during his lifetime.

1 Like

@Cade_One No, I havenā€™t heard of that particular site. My pilgrimage experience is restricted to mainly Marian apparition sitesā€”although Iā€™ve taken groups to Rome and Assisi. Iā€™ve never visited Asia. No doubt you will be blessed on your journey there!

1 Like

Adoration! We lost our new Adoration Chapel as well as our center for Hurricane Ida, hopefully one day we will have it back. We can do Adoration in the main church, but I really loved the little chapel.

5 Likes

It is very hard when their isnā€™t a small room to go to for adoration. Prayers for a new one to be available soon.

1 Like

Living in a rural mountain area options are small. But weather permitting, I do take bus to one parish with Holy priest that has Adoration everyday for an hour after Mass! Everyday :tulip::latin_cross: no special chapel, right in the church.
And I have a devotion to praying the Holy Rosary everyday.

2 Likes

Yes, pilgrimages are my way of travel. Iā€™ve been blessed over years with five pilgrimages to Israel, eight to Medjugorje, and so many others! My prayer is hopefully get to Greece in the footsteps of St. Paul. Have a blessed Holy Week! Anthea

Maryā€™s Little Office, the Rosary, and the Divine Mercy Chaplet.

1 Like

My favorite is the Easter Vigil. I like the way the church is lit by passing a flame from one candle to another, the series of Bible readings, the sung litany, and the people receiving sacraments for the first time. Years ago, the parish I was in got a bunch of college students from a neighboring city who came to our church for Easter Vigil because the church in the city was overflowing (in fact, our parish was formed because the city church was too full). Some of the college students were being confirmed, and when they received confirmation, their friends were jumping up and down with joy and clapping. It wasnā€™t a traditional response, but I enjoyed the enthusiasm they showed over their friends joining the Church.

2 Likes

We do not have a separate adoration chapel, but have used the parish officeā€™s chapel, the chapel in the rectory, and the cry room. Maybe one of these smaller spaces could be used in your parish as well. Or we could get really bold and pray the whole church would be filled with those looking to visit with Christ.

Reading Catholic books. Iā€™m a voracious reader and I love reading books by Catholic authors - including novels. One of my very favorite books is a novel by Rumer Godden titled In This House of Brede. I also try to say the rosary every day and I have been listening to Father Mike Schmitzā€™s podcast The Bible In A Year.

You may enjoy my book, Chain Breaker: Freedom Through Deliverance from Evil Spirits. Available on Amazon.

The Rosary, then liturgy of the hours, finally the prayers I learned in grade school. I am 74.

Probably the rosary, or the precept of obedience/tradition itself. Thereā€™s much wisdom in our ancient teachings, so much that I think it cannot all be explained very quickly. Thus obedience to the traditions the apostles learned from Jesus are indispensable.