What is the sin against the Holy Spirit?

I found this great article explaining the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, and I was wondering what people think of it. I found this passage particularly insightful:

Catechism of the Catholic Church

1864 – “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.”136There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit.137Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

136 -Mt12:31; cf.Mk3:29;Lk12:10.
137 – Cf. John Paul II,DeV46.

Here’s the article: What is the sin against the Holy Spirit? – EWTN Global Catholic Television Network

1 Like

The main definition that I have heard over the years is consistent with this article. Namely, it is living in perpetual mortal sin until death.

That makes sense. I think the key is the refusal to believe in Jesus, thus the refusal to repent and receive forgiveness for sins.

Blasphemy … consists in uttering against God - inwardly or outwardly - words of hatred, reproach, or defiance; in speaking ill of God; in failing in respect toward him in one’s speech; in misusing God’s name.” That’s what the Catechism of the Catholic Church says, and to me it doesn’t seem to match the Catechism’s comment on blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, quoted in the original post. Maybe the Gospel means something different, or maybe there were nuances in Greek that were lost in translation.

Thank you for sharing that, very interesting stuff!