What do you say to a child who doesn't want to go to Church?

Our first daughter (16) was easy. She loves Jesus and understands the importance of her Faith. Our youngest daughter (6), however, loves herself (a little more than she loves).

Why do you go to Church?

I was formerly a protestant, however I can’t remember (or maybe “I can’t sympathize with myself” is a weirdly accurate way to say it) why I wanted to go to Church back then. It may have been a combination of an already present faith-joy, a desire to learn more and to do what I understood would be good.

Now, probably the only reason I want to attend is to see Jesus in the Eucharist.

1 Like

We benefit from going to church, but, just as important, we give. We give our attention to God and His word, we give our presence and prayers to others, and to some degree (a little more each time, I hope), we give ourselves to God.

Nothing. “You’re going to church.” Period.

2 Likes

At 6 years old does she really have an opinion that counts on this matter?

Try to make church fun for her by bringing religious coloring books like our one daughter does with her little ones.

Also, our church takes all the little ones that have not received communion yet aside, where they do fun biblical stuff like readings & coloring, just before the readings & brings them back just after the homily.

:pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2:

2 Likes

When I was 6, I loved God and Jesus but church was just too boring and there was too much standing and it hurt my tiny legs. It’s difficult to follow mass when you’re 6. Movies about bible stories did help explain the significance to me though, which made me want to go more.

I also witnessed my mother and grandparents care about going and be happier after going. So lead by example for sure. If you act like it’s cool, she’ll probably think it’s cool. I think making church a chore that children are forced to attend is a bad idea because then in 7 or 8 years they might reject it altogether. Better to ask her why she doesn’t like it and work with her, same as vegetables.

You can also just pretend there’s no other option so it doesn’t become a power struggle (always avoid those as its demeaning to children and everyone). Just say “there’s no money for a babysitter and we can’t leave you home sorry”

1 Like