Orans Posture - Yes or No?

There is a lot of disagreement about the Orans Posture. Why is it right or wrong to pray like this?

Truly, I’ve always felt a little uncomfortable with the open palm stance that mirrors the priest presiding over mass. Since reading an article in Catholic World Report, I have adopted the praying hands posture, especially for reciting the Our Father.

2 Likes

My understanding is that the priest is offering the congregations prayers to God and, therefore, he should be the only one with open palms. Is that what the Catholic World Report reported?

3 Likes

I agree…I feel by that manner. we are not only praying to Jesus but also offering to Him our complete selves as if we are asking Him to bring us into His Glory.

Thanks, Doug! Beautifully stated!

Thank you…God Bless!

No. It is not . Catholic answers has good article on .

1 Like

Yes, that’s what Catholic World Report stated. It is a prayer posture reserved for the priest.

2 Likes

When I used to live in the Cleveland Diocese, the Bishop encouraged all the of the faithful to use this posture during the “Our Father.” This does not bother me. I understand that there is evidence that this is how some in the ancient Church Prayed.

He also got rid of kneeling after receiving Holy Eucharist (which I believe was a mistake, especially when we have a crisis of faith in the Eucharist). When we visit our friends in Cleveland Diocese there is so much confusion before and after receiving Communion. Half of the faithful are kneeling (which is allowed) and the other half is standing (in obedience to the former Bishop). It is just awkward and disjointed.

Yes, keeping my hands with palms pressed together enhances my prayer offerings during mass.

2 Likes

We have certainly gotten away with morphing into what I would gently say Protestant ways of ‘worshiping’ in a Catholic Mass. We never would open our hands like that. The priests are supposed to do that. Too much involvement with the congregation in my humble opinion. It really takes away from the reverence. I attend Latin Mass for the past year and never felt more reverent during a Catholic mass!

3 Likes

The more we change this and change that, the more we lose all of what we had prior to VII. It’s a shame. You never know now what you’re going to get from one parish to another. I cringe at some of the way priests celebrate the New Mass. But … in the Latin Mass it’s all the same beauty and awe with either the mass celebrated silently or it is sung. I’m addition, you have the smells and bells! Oh and the ancient chants are used and it is BEAUTIFUL!! Just my take …

4 Likes

I hope to one day attend a TLM. I have been to some very well done “New Masses,” but I totally understand where you are coming from. I have been to some not so reverent Liturgies as well. And when they are bad, they are really bad. I attended a Lutheran service in a Catholic Church (on a small island) and the lack of reverence of the God of the Universe was nauseating. To be fair to my Lutheran friends, this was a very relaxed Service. I know there are some Lutherans who are very reverent.

1 Like

Hurry and find yourself a TLM. Pope Francis is currently working with the Diocesan Bishops to illuminate it altogether, sadly. Makes no sense to me that this is even a thing. Let priests celebrate the mass of all ages! It wasn’t wrong then and it’s not wrong now.

5 Likes

reserved for the priests. not the laity

1 Like

It is definitely not permitted according to the rubrics. Only a priest or bishop can use the orans during the Mass.

3 Likes

What is Orans Posture? Sometimes I believe I am the most ignorant Catholic alive.

Where did you love? I would totally love to be able to worship at The Latin Mass. I remember them from when I was a young girl, but not yet Catholic. The missal confused me a bit but the beauty & majesty of the mass more than made up for it.

2 Likes

No. Only the Priest is allowed.

1 Like

This posture is where the priest extends his arms with his palms open to the heavens. He is offering the prayers of the whole congregation when he does this. Although many people in the pews imitate the priest, only he is permitted to offer the prayers with arms extended.

1 Like