Receiving Holy Communion in the Hand

What do you all think about the practice of receiving Holy Communion in the hand?

1 Like

It is all I know. We have been to a beautiful Liturgy of another Rite, but everyone received on the tongue and I got scared, because I’ve never done it, plus my tongue does not stick out as far as other individual’s. I have a piece of skin (lingual frenum) connecting the bottom of my tongue to the floor of my mouth. So, I abstained from receiving out of respect for this particular community of believers.

I love the reverence of those who kneel to receive on the tongue. Those who receive on the tongue, but do not kneel, I do not view as any more reverent than receiving in the hand.

I would love for the Church to either re-install a partial altar-rail or a kneeler aisle. If the Church were to re-instate such reverent practices. I would learn to receive on the tongue (or get an operation to snip some of my tongue cartilage if necessary).

I have more of a problem with individuals who chew the blessed Eucharist like a heathen, then someone who received in the hand.

Generally, I am too busy in reflective Prayer to notice how others are receiving or not receiving to my liking. In fact, my eyes are closed through the majority of the Sacred Liturgy. It helps me to focus on every word spoken, otherwise, I would be too distracted by what others are doing around me.

1 Like

My understanding is that receiving in the mouth precludes someone “hanging onto” the Host and doing something irreverent or nefarious with it. Which I would and will never do anyway so for me I’m happy just to be able to receive it period. In the hand is good with me.

1 Like

I’m glad to receive Him in the hand, like in the Early Church. As for “chewing,” did not Our Lord Himself say, “Take and eat?” I don’t consider it heathen to follow His command by using the teeth He gave me.

1 Like

The USCCB says it’s okay. Can you receive irreverently? Sure, in both forms. BTW on the tongue does NOT prevent profanation; most of the stories of people doing nefarious things with the Sacrament date before 1963.

2 Likes

Once I heard a priest say in a sermon that the word used by Jesus for “eat,” as in “take this, all of you and eat,” literally means “chew.” I don’t know whether he was right. His point, I think, was that Jesus truly wants us to eat this “true food,” as he called his flesh. I suppose that “take this” implies that Jesus handed it to them, but I don’t know any ancient languages, having forgotten nearly all the Latin I once got A’s in.

2 Likes

Would prefer to KNEEL at the altar and hsve tongue or hand acceptance of the Eucharist optional per individual.

I have heard it as to chew or gnaw. It isn’t so much that some chew, but how some chew. It comes off as nonchalant. Again, I usually do not pay too much attention to how others receive our Lord, but when I see it, I feel sad for the individual (and this is coming from someone who jokes that he has no feelings nor empathy ; )

I am enjoying this discussion. I think we should be more aware of how we present ourselves before this blessed gift.

1 Like

I much prefer receiving on the tongue, and kneeling if possible. But when you’re in line it’s not as easy and when there’s a rail, as the flow of the people proceeding is disrupted. That’s why I prefer the Latin Mass. As for chewing, I remember being told growing up that it was not permitted to chew. And I have stuck to that, as I feel it shows more reverence.
God Bless!

1 Like

Another reason to receive on the tongue with a server holding a paten under your chin is to prevent any particles of Our Lord’s Body and Blood from dropping on the floor. Every single particle of a consecrated Host is the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of our Lord. Just think of people trampling on Our Lord with their filthy shoes.

1 Like

Tom

Communion on hand or by mouth? Depends on your relation with Christ and your concept of treating Him with respect. For me, Eucharist
Is the one precious time I get to interact with Christ eye to eye, as human to Christ in all of His humanity, so I prefer to receive by hand.

As for chewing the hostI, I have no choice. Can’t swallow it unless chewed.

I make it not a point to not
Judge how others receive communion. I assume they and Jesus have worked it out as to how best suits them.

2 Likes

To me receiving communion in the hand is the way it used to be and preferable to me. It more sacred.

2 Likes

What I meant to write . Is receiving communion by mouth brings me closer to Jesus

1 Like

While on Vacation, our Family attended Latin Mass at the Cathedral in Charleston, NC. (I’ll post pictures at a later time). I received kneeling and on the tongue for the first time in my life. I was very nervous. So nervous, in fact, that I forgot to say “Amen” until after the Priest had placed the Blessed Host on my tongue!

I noticed some (trads) not making the sign of the Cross after receiving. Do you not make the sign of the Cross when receiving in this manor? Or do you make the sign of the Cross after arising up from the kneeler/altar-rail? Or only when you return to the pew?

I haven’t been making the sign of the cross after receiving communion, but it’s a great idea, and from now on I will. I think little things like that will help others, as well as myself, take the Eucharistic more seriously.

In the last few weeks I have received on the tongue (the first time in over 40 years!) and yes, I was nervous as well. Last Sunday I witnessed a woman at the end of the communion line kneel on the brick floor (a little awkwardly) and received on her tongue. It was after she got up and turned around to go back to her seat I noticed that she was pregnant! She really witnessed to me how reverently she considers The Eucharistic.

My own feeling is that receiving on the tongue is an act of humility and reverence. I’m going to try to do it regularly.

3 Likes

FYI, at a TLM you don’t say AMEN when receiving the Host. By kneeling and opening your mouth, you are implying “AMEN”.

With regards to making the sign of the cross, I never really thought about it until you posted this, but most people at my TLM parish don’t do it after receiving.

*** Congrats on your first TLM ***

1 Like

Thank you. This is good to know! Appreciate it. I will let me Wife know too.