Eucharist required weekly?

In mass today, our priest said that we are required to receive the Eucharist weekly and if we don’t, it is a sacrilege and we must make confession before we can again received the Eucharist.

I’ve never heard this before and there are times I don’t go to mass. Sometimes I attend a Baptist Church so I can spend time with my family, when I was recovering from ankle surgery, I didn’t go for almost 8 weeks, and a few other times. There doesn’t seem to be any scripture that refers to how often we should receive Eucharist so I’m just curious what everyone else’s point of view is on this, thanks for reading

I do not want to become the devils advocate here. But I also heard this recently, and somehow it does not sit completely right with me. I do often go more than once a week to mass, as I have opportunity. But I perceive that the only “acceptable” replacement for a sunday service is the saturday evening service. I think the Church has made a ruling on the issue, and we are then bound to follow what the Church says. And that it is a grave/mortal sin to skip a sunday service without good reason, and as such it should be confessed. Somehow it just, from the outside, seems a little like jumping through their hoops, rather than it being a question of conscience.

Thanks for you quick reply. I understand that the church as rules, but this seems to override the scripture. I think of John 6:51 - I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh.”

Nothing says we have to do it every weekend or even with what regularity. So I am trying to understand why the church as applied man-made rules to what Jesus said.

I actually almost always go to mass, but I cannot believe that Jesus would find me in mortal sin. Technically, if you receive the body and blood even once, you shall live forever, or so it seems from Christ’s own words.

Officially, you are only required to receive the Eucharist once per year (Easter season). So no need to confess not receiving every week. However, missing Mass for non-emergency reasons, including attending Protestant services does require confession before receiving. Hope this helps.

1 Like

I’m wondering if there is some confusion about what the priest said in his homily.

We do not have an obligation to receive Holy Communion every Sunday. After reaching the age of reason, we have an obligation to receive Holy Communion once a year (during the Easter season) and also when we are dying (Viaticum).

That is different from participating in Holy Mass every Sunday. We do not have to receive Holy Communion every time we participate in the Eucharist. However, we do have an obligation to assist at Holy Mass every Sunday and on holy days of obligation.

And, yes, it is a grave obligation. So, to not receive Holy Communion most Sundays is not a sin; but not even coming to church for Mass is a grave sin.

I should mention that one can be excused for a just cause (e.g. being sick). That is possibly the case with your ankle surgery, though I don’t know enough about your situation and don’t think it’s my place to try and determine that anyway.

Jesus did not give us every detail of how we are to worship during his life on earth. He chose to leave that to the apostles and their successors, giving them authority (cf. Matt 16:19 ; 18:18). At the Last Supper, he commanded his priests to celebrate the Eucharist in memory of him. And in the earliest days of the Church, the Eucharist was central (Acts 2:42).

Just as the people of the Old Testament set apart a day as holy to the Lord by resting from work, so we keep holy Sunday - the day of the Resurrection of Christ - by gathering for the Eucharist.

I could go on about other things (e.g. why we need to receive Holy Communion repeatedly), but my post is already lengthy, so I’ll leave it at that.

2 Likes

I rarely miss mass (maybe 3 or 4 times a year and it’s because I at my family’s church with them; I am sure Jesus loves me just as much in a Baptist church as in a Catholic one. Moreover, I love going to mass and even more I love receiving the body of Christ. And I don’t skip mass because I want to sleep late or something like that. Thanks for the clarification as I really try and be a good Catholic-Christian,

Thank you, Canadian Priest, for your answer. Yes, the priest in question may have said something orthodox that was misunderstood. But I’ve sometimes heard kooky things from the pulpit. One pastor told us that Holy Thursday is not a holy day of obligation because the Church expects that we will be there. My hearing has never been good, but someone else heard it too.

1 Like

Actually my priest said that if we miss a week, then it a sacrilege and we must confess before we can receive the Eucharist again.

Re - sometimes going to a Baptist church, my son passed. in 2021 and my DIL and grandchildren and I are the only family in this region. They live two cities over, so for birthdays or Christmas, I usually go with them because I want to rejoice with them. Those times with my family are the only times I miss mass (unless sick) and during Covid, I attended online services.

Anyway, thank you so much for clarifying. However I would NEVER receive the Eucharist only one time a year. I do feel better knowing if we miss mass/communion, it is permissible if we have a legitimate reason. In fact I sometimes wish people would stay home when they come to church with a serious cough that resonates through the church!.

Hi floridienne,

As far as receiving once a week, I do not know that this is correct. I would argue that it is better not to receive if we are not in the state of grace.

We have friends who attend the Tadeonal Latin High Mass (about an hour-and-a-half) away from us once a month and our Parish all other Sundays. They will sometimes refrain from receiving Holy Communion from time to time, which I respect them for. I think far too many (myself included) receive when we maybe should not.

Holy Communion is intimacy with our Lord. Like in a Marriage, if we have wronged our spouse, we ought to reconcile with him/her prior to being intimate with them once again. Staying in the pew (or going up for a blessing instead of receiving) is kind of like “sleeping on the couch” : ) It is still in the same house, but not where we really want to be in our relationship with the one we love. So saying we are sorry (which is what the Sacrament of Reconciliation is) is the path to receiving forgiveness.

Missing Sunday Mass is not good and you should confess this. Sometimes there are valid reasons to miss (if you are sick or have have surgery, as you mentioned), but it wouldn’t hurt to mention these when you go to Reconciliation.

There is a saying that the more you miss Church, the less you miss it. There is a reason that going to Mass is an obligation for those who have a relationship with Jesus. We have a covenantal relationship with Christ, which is deeper than a simple friendship. If we love Jesus, we should want to spend time with Him.

When I was in High School, I too attended both the Catholic Church and a Protestant Church (non-Denominational).

When I went off to College, I would gradually miss Church. One Sunday eventually turned into two. And before I knew it, it was very easy not to go to Church.

Don’t think of the obligation to go to Church as something we have to do, but rather something that we get to do.

I have been hesitating to respond. However, I may have caused some confusion, so it’s probably best to clarify things.

There can indeed by legitimate reasons to miss Mass (usually health related). However, I was not saying that missing Mass to go to a Baptist church with family is a legitimate reason. That would indeed be a grave sin.

It is very good that you want to spend time with family; but there are other ways to do so.

Anyway, please be assured of my prayers for the repose of your son’s soul. :pray:

Thank you for such a detailed and well-thought out response. regarding the surgery -, I was in West Palm at the time and had to spend 6 weeks in bed. My priest knew all about it and never had any issue that I had missed. During Covid, I attended online - not as satisfying, but I still wanted to hear the homily and be present.

I would say the only other times I miss mass are the few occasions I visit my family in another town and attend their church with them.

In my heart, I feel I am still in a state of grace (as much as any sinner can be). But again, I was concerned about the occasional time I am at my family’s church; in my heart, Jesus is still happy that I am worshipping him even though there is no holy communion,