Drunkards, adulterers, etc. shall not enter the Kingdom of Heaven

So what is the correct discernment of ‘drunkards’? For example, is it ok to sip on a few drinks (say one an hour) while with friends? To me, drunkard would be soneone who drinks shots, or starts drinking early in the morning and goes all day. After all, Jesus himself turned water into wine.

Just trying to understand the boundaries of what is acceptable (and not sinful) versus what constitutes sinful behavior. Hoping one or more of the Priests can offer input. Thanks!

There is a stereotype about Catholics, that we are nothing, but a bunch of drunks. I don’t know if this perception is because we use Wine in our Sacred Liturgy or if it is because certain cultures who claim to be Catholic celebrate a little too hard. Some Protestant Churches teach that any alcohol consumption is sinful, which also could be why we are perceived to be drunkards. We do not believe that consuming alcohol is a sin.

The Bible describes drinking as being a part of celebrating, but Scripture also warns about consuming too much alcohol.

We can’t really put an amount (or a number of sips) to the question of How much is too much, because every individual’s tolerance level is different. Much like the sin of gluttony, everyone’s metabolism is different.

We also need to keep in mind that alcohol is an addictive substance. So for someone with low-impulse-control, avoiding alcohol all together is the prudent thing to do. Prudence has a negative connotation in our secular culture, but prudence is a virtue. Those who make it a habit of drinking too much (socially) are often challenged when they encounter someone whom they respect who does not drink. This is because iron sharpens iron. It holds up a mirror to someone who might justify their drinking by the fact that others around them are doing it too.

Another factor is that when someone is under the influence of substance, he/she tends to make other poor decisions. I had a friend in High School who once told me that when he hung out with me, he didn’t feel like he had to get drunk and do drugs like he did with his other friends. When I was about to go off to College he tried to guilt-trip me, “I guess I’ll have to go back to my old friends and do the things they do.” I told him that he can’t put that on me. That would be his choice, not mine. Months into College, I got a call from my Mom saying that Alex had been killed in a car accident. He was coming home from a Party (at his old friends house) and he was not wearing a seat belt. He struck a tree and was projected through the windshield. He was intoxicated.

When I was in fourth grade, I got up for School like I did everyday, only this day, my Mom was standing at the top of the stairs in her bathrobe crying. My Uncle had been struck and killed by a drunk driver on his drive home from work that early morning, leaving behind three beautiful little girls without a Dad. Both the drunk driver and my Uncle Tommy were killed.

I had hoped that when my Dad’s brother was killed that my Dad (not a Catholic) would stop drinking, but that was wishful thinking on my Part.

I am 40 something now and I am glad to say that I have never been drunk (nor have I ever “tried” weed). I do not say this to boast. My Dad was married to the bottle and his Dad was addicted to alcohol. I have witnessed how the abuse of alcohol can wreck Marriages, Families, Friendships, and good Character. I choose not to drink for my Wife’s sake and for my Daughters’ sake. And if the way I live my life challenges friends to live a more Christian lifestyle, then even more of a Blessing.

One last story. Another friend of mine (similar to Alex, an unlikely friend on paper). Her Sister was dating a convict. He had just gotten out of prison and was over at my friend’s house. We were playing board games (my drug of choice) and we invited him to play. He said that it was the most “sober” fun he had ever had! I sometimes think about where he might be today. I’d ask everyone to Pray for him, but I can’t remember his name.

1 Like

I need to be careful how many Arby’s Mozzarella Cheese Sticks I consume.

1 Like

Drunkenness can be legally measured, but if someone is asking how much is OK to drink, the question itself might be a warning sign. If someone isn’t aware of how much alcochol causes impairment, maybe the person should not drink at all. I’ve known alcoholics who, once they recovered, never drank another drop of alcohol, and I had a friend whose parents were both alcoholics, and impressed by their bad example, he never drank alcohol. Self-control is one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit.

1 Like