"Jigg's Dinner" in the Instant Pot

For St. Patrick’s Day, I make “Jigg’s Dinner” in the Insta-Pot. It is very easy.

All you have to do is buy the corned beef with the little seasoning packet included. I usually get it at Aldi, but most grocery stores have it on sale this time of year. You can also check with your local butcher, as they too often will have it. I like mine with little red potatoes and cabbage, but you can also add carrots and onions if you like.

Here are the simple steps:

1. Cut off some of the heavy fat, rinse and place the corned beef fat-side down on the trivet in your instant pot. Sprinkle seasoning packet on top of the corned beef.
  2. Add about 2.5 cups of water and pressure cook on high for 70 minutes and let slow release for 15 minutes.
  3. Take the lid off and add your red potatoes (I wash mine in half white vinegar and half water). Then add the cabbage (I remove the top couple layers and then cut the head of cabbage into quarters).
  4. Put the lid back on and pressure cook on high for 3 minutes. When it is done, you can do a quick release and you are good to go!

I had never had Jiggs Dinner until I started my new job and a co-worker’s Birthday is on St. Patrick’s day and she always requests it for her Birthday meal. It is so easy to make and delicious! Eat in moderation, as it is a salty dish and cabbage expands in your tummy : )

2 Likes

I know it as New England Boiled Dinner. It’s what we’re having on Easter. We just put potatoes and carrots in it, no cabbage. I got our corned beef at Aldi also, and I didn’t see it in Acme or Shop Rite. Just my wife and I living here, but it’s also a good meal when you are busy with children or visitors: put it in the pot, boil it, forget it for a few hours. Fairly easy cleanup too.

1 Like

We added onions this time. When I was cooking it, it didn’t look that good: meat, carrots, potatoes, and onions boiling in a pot. I was wondering why I thought it would be a good Easter dinner, even though I’d had it many times before. But when we ate it, oh, it was delicious. :grinning:

1 Like