Homily for the 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time (Year B)

When you participated in Holy Mass this Sunday, did the homilist speak about the second reading (from Ephesians 5)?

• Yes
  • No
  • Kinda/Sorta/Maybe
0 voters

As an extra, I’d be interested to know what he said about it.

If you have forgotten what the second reading was (or weren’t listening), check it out:

We attended a Church along the way to my Grandma’s House. They had a rent-a-Priest (a retired Priest older in age filling in), so their Deacon gave the Homily. He focused mostly on the first Reading, “As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” It was good.

I just saw on Twitter that apparently there is some controversary surrounding the second Reading.

Ephesians is one of my favorite books in The Bible. What is controversial about it? That it says husbands should be the head of their households? Families thrive when good men lead.

The same is true in the Church. When our Pastors are more effeminate, truth seems to matter less and the family suffers spiritually.

Christ is the head of the church, His bride. We are members of this family.

I will be transparent here. My Wife is the more dominate one in our household and it works (mostly). But, my Wife hates it when I say that she wears the pants in our relationship and I believe she would love it if I stepped up and lead in matters of earthly things. But, when it comes to Heavenly things, I am the spiritual leader of our home, because this is what matters to me more than the things of this world.

This is not to say that these things do not matter to my Wife. She too has a relationship with our Lord and it is one of the many things that I love about her.

I think it would be very difficult to be Married to someone who is an unbeliever. And maybe this is what is controversial. The culture no longer believes in the Word of God. Many trust so-called “experts” or follow what is popular.

Pastors who want to be liked might choose to avoid controversial passages in Sacred Scripture, but those who care about truth more than being popular, will not cower.

Our homilist ,the pastor of a thriving NC church , stressed the complementarity of men and women and the gifts each brings to marriage.

3 Likes