Favorite Hymns and how they touched you

What is one Song that you would like sung at your Furneral?

Please tell me your favorite hymn. Not only for funerals. And If you will, a short experience when it resonated with you.

Mine is Joyful Joyful we Adore Thee. My mom was in hospital with a life threatening illness. weeks had passed at her bedside. She was finally well enough to come home and I went to Mass for the first time in awhile, not afraid to leave her should she die while I was away. The recessional hymn that I had heard so many times suddenly broke my heart with joy.

Joyful, joyful, we adore You,
God of glory, Lord of love;
Hearts unfold like flow’rs before You,
Op’ning to the sun above.
Melt the clouds of sin and sadness;
Drive the dark of doubt away;
Giver of immortal gladness,
Fill us with the light of day!

1 Like

I really like Sarah Hart’s “You Are The Light” (such a beautiful song when accompanied by a violinist). We used to sing this hymn prior to getting our new Liturgist (who is great too, but he tends to prefer the ancient hymns).

This past Sunday, we sang “What Wondrous Love Is This” and wouldn’t mind that one being sung at my funeral Liturgy as well some day.

1 Like