Catholics and Catholic Charismatics

Sorry…to whom are you asking this question?

I am asking Dainty 26 if she is Roman Catholic.

1 Like

Yes but not until 2017. I was UC before that.

What is UC Dainty 26?

U C stands for the United Church.

Dainty 26 said, “Forgive my ignorance, but what is that?”. I was asking her, who she’s talking to.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.
What is monostatism

1 Like

Mono Statism. :joy:

This is ‘monasticism’. Monasticism - Encyclopedia Volume - Catholic Encyclopedia - Catholic Online Monasticism - Encyclopedia Volume - Catholic Encyclopedia - Catholic Online

I would describe it as an avowed (a type of anointing, not just pledge) dedication to, a giving oneself up for, life lived away from the secular world. The write-up begins by using the word ‘seclusion’ yet which could incur ideas of loneliness without further immediate description. If one were to give oneself up to that way of life, however, then while there is very obviously privacy the emphasis is one’s whole an entire strength and focus being concentrated on and for God (as opposed to secular life and being around ‘the world’ with all its complications and ‘things to do’)…by means of seclusion. So, seclusion is the practical means, the purpose a life lived in continuous prayer. You don’t remain idle, you keep busy, still, while monasticism ensures immense time for routine prayer times and all else given to God with the knowledge that it is all given by God to undertake. You call those avowed ‘Religious’, i.e. monks or nuns. The general consensus is that monks and nuns don’t leave their monasteries (or Abbey) and convents (the term for a nun avowed to a convent is ‘cloistered’). They wear habits (a body length type of cloak or sack) over their clothes to also demonstrate their giving up of worldly aspirations and belongings.

In line with what we were discussing, monasticism reaches into the very heart of Christianity - the mystical depths. I consider it as a pure form of Catholicism. No greater direct route.

Top three for men: Benedictines. Carmelites. Augustinians.

For women: Benedictines. Carmelites. Then about a billion others to select from.

1 Like

Charismatic Christians need to be very discerning! The lead singer of one of my all-time favorite Christian Rock Bands and his Wife (also a member of Skillet) has been a victim of a NAR Church where they believe in modern day prophets and apostles (not unlike the LDS) and it sounds crazy to me.

I Pray for them both, as they are going through this crisis of faith and hurt.

In this interview, they bring up both Catholic and Orthodox Christianity a few times and compare the Pope to these alleged “apostles” and “prophets,” but Apostolic Succession is not the same as NAR!! We believe that public revelation ended with the death of the last Apostle. So, the Pope (or prime Bishop if you will), Early Church Fathers, and the Successors of the Apostles do not receive new public Revelation from God. They were gifted special authority & responsibility to protect that which Christ and the Apostles (referring to the original Apostles) had passed on to them as part of our Christian Faith. And though they may be guided by the Holy Spirit, they are not modern prophets in the sense of the Protestant New Apostolic Reformation movement nor other movements like The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Anyone who claims God has revealed some new public revelation is to be met with skepticism. Private revelation, sure, but public revelation, NO! Most Protestant, Evangelical, Orthodox, and Catholic Christians believe God speaks to individuals to help them/us grow in faith and love. But, when the Holy Spirit speaks to us it is not something that is meant for all. It is something personal, hints “private” revelation.

I think Christians need to be very careful. I am naturally skeptical when it comes to any modern revelation. It isn’t that I lack faith, but rather that I think too many are led astray by what they perceive is the Holy Spirit when it might not be. I think discernment is super important.