Random Fun Facts from the Bible, our Faith & More!

Post random facts that you learn while studying our Faith here.

Fun Fact: The term “Liturgy” comes from the Greek word “leitourgia” which literally translates to “work of the people” or “service.” Ever wonder why Protestants call Sunday Worship “Service?” Now you know : )

Fun Fact: “The name ‘Christ’ comes from the Greek translation of the Hebrew ‘Messiah,’ which means ‘anointed.’” — CCC 436

At every Mass, after the “Our Father,” the Priest Prays these words, “Deliver us, Lord, we pray, from every evil, graciously grant peace in our days, that, by the help of your mercy, we may be always free from sin and safe from all distress, as we await the blessed hope and the coming of our Savior.”

Fun Fact: This Prayer probably dates back before the 600s! It is found in both the early Liturgies of the East, as well as the West.

Fun Fact: Angels are mentioned nearly 300 times in the Bible!

Fun Fact: We celebrate the Feast of St. Dismas (“the good thief”) on March 25, where we recall his faith and hope in Jesus on the Cross. We do not, however, celebrate “the bad thief” : )

Another Fun Fact: In Mel Gibson’s, “The Passion of The Christ,” the bad thief’s eyeball is plucked by a crow, symbolizing that the bad thief was nearing death and was blind to who Jesus was.

Fun Fact: The same Greek word for “torn” when Jesus hands over His spirit on Calvary (in Matthew 27:51) is the same verbiage as when Jesus is Baptized, rises from the Jordan River and the Heavens were “torn open” (Mark 1:10).

Fun Fact: The Bible never explicitly mentions the Apostles being Baptized, but I’d say it is pretty safe to presume that they were : )

Fun Fact: J. R. R. Tolkien was Catholic : )

Fun Fact: The Eastern Orthodox Bible has a 151 Psalm (that Catholic and Protestant Bibles do not include) from the perspective of David after he decapitates Goliath:

1 I was small among my brothers and the youngest in my father’s house; I tended my father’s sheep.

2 My hands built a musical instrument; My fingers tuned a lyre.

3 And who shall tell my Lord? The Lord Himself, He Himself hears.

4 He sent forth His Angel and took me from my father’s sheep; and he anointed me with his anointing oil.

5 My brothers were handsome and tall, but the Lord took no pleasure in them.

6 I went out to meet the foreigner, and he cursed me with his idols;

7 But I drew his own sword and beheaded him, and removed disgrace from the children of Israel.

The Word of the Lord?

1 Like

Fun Fact: The name “Medad” is of Hebrew origin, meaning "beloved” and name “Eldad” is Hebrew for “God Has Loved” or “Whom God Loves.”

This is a great thread, thank you for sharing all these interesting facts!